Saturday

Amsterdam

I haven't printed a personal photograph for about 5years .. my albums dried up while I filled those of others,
my hard drives creak with the weight of unsorted images of my own, while my clients likenesses are backed up
offsite in triplicate.

Part of my sabbatical while renovating was to fix all this .. fix my broken website .. clear my archives
 ..do a lot of things.. but I was tired, so very tired.  Burned out.

So I simply took time out.  I watched tv instead of editing all night .. I read some books, went to bed early,
hung out with my family.  It was lovely and i'm hoping to gain more life/work balance this year.

Thus it was, I was thrilled to find myself finally looking at some of my holiday pics from last year last night,
and being inspired to *edit* them .. to cull the flowers from the weeds and find a spark renewed.

And so I give you  .. Amsterdam ..


Amsterdam


Amsterdam



You know, it's funny, but looking at these images, you might be surprised to find I did not like Amsterdam much,
and wondered why others seem so engaged by this city.


Amsterdam


Amsterdam


It's true though this was a stopover on our way out - we'd spend a week in Paris, and another in
the French Countryside.  I guess it's quite unfair to judge a new city after that.

Plus, Amsterdam was being renovated:


Amsterdam


So we walking past barriers and the ratta-tat-tat of construction drills, and under a skyline of cranes.


Amsterdam


And we only had a night here and two days .. so you know, we didn't explore .. we just skimmed the surface.
So I kinda feel bad for not loving Amsterdam.  It reminds me of the time long ago when a trip to New York
( zomg, love! ) was followed by a visit to Chicago .. I felt exactly the same .. both seem such SMALL cities,
seen in a day, compared to the wonders of the magical cities we'd left behind to visit them.


Amsterdam


But the canal ride by night was gorgeous.



Amsterdam


While we waited for our ride, we amused ourselves by watching rats run in and off the docks and into basement
cellars. The kids thought they were cute.  I felt rather Dickensian and wished for period costume and a thick fog
to descend to complete the picture. 


I think it's easier to enjoy the quaintness of rats when you're on holidays.


Amsterdam


You can see other images from our holiday here:
i-phone montage
The Arts et Métiers Train Station
Les Marchés de la France
The Cafe de la Prominade














No comments: